The following details are taken from the Scottish Charities Register:


1. Overview

Donations by individuals to charity are tax free. This is called tax relief.

The tax goes to you or the charity. How this works depends on whether you donate:

1.     through Gift Aid

2.     straight from your wages or pension through a Payroll Giving scheme

3.     land, property or shares

4.     in your will


2. Gift Aid

Donating through Gift Aid means charities can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you give. It won’t cost you any extra.

Charities can claim Gift Aid on most donations, but some payments don’t qualify.


What you need to do:

You need to make a Gift Aid declaration for the charity to claim. You usually do this by filling in a form - contact the charity (in this case the Treasurer, Calvary Church) if you haven’t got one. See Contact Us page.


For full information contact the government page: